Friday, January 29, 2010

All About Me Challenge #10. . .The Soundtrack Of My Life

Whew-we!  -Another fun challenge over at the All About Me Challenge Blog!!  : )  You really should stop over there and check out all of the LO's their designers created.  They are all super-special. . .so unique. . .each with a fresh twist on the topic.  LOVE them all! 
When I started brain-storming this I was all over the place.  Do I pick a single song that sums up my life? Or do I scrap a song that brings back great memories?  Ugh. . .After a lot of thought I came up with a timeline kind of LO.  I tried to create something that would give the impression of how my tastes have changed, how events caused certain songs to stick in my head, and how the music I listen to makes me feel a certain way.  Here are a few pics. . .followed by the 'lengthy' journaling:



Journaling:

1973 – On the day I was born the #1 song on the Billboard Chart was ‘Killing Me Softly’ by Roberta Flack


Early 80’s – My memories of music revolve around ‘River Music’. . .at least that’s what we called it growing up. Our vacation trips to Lake Mojave and Lake Havasu included many hours of listening to groups like Fleetwood Mac, The Eagles, Styx, Foreigner, and Air Supply. I distinctly remember the black rectangular 8-Track box that my Dad kept in ‘Big Fella’ – our ginormous van. . .it housed all of the music that I was exposed to in my early childhood. I also have to confess that my Mom LOVED Neil Diamond. . .therefore. . .I too have a little piece of Neil in my heart. : )

Late 80’s – I discovered ‘Rick Dees’ and 102.7 KIIS FM. I listened to all the hits, and loved to sing as loud as possible in the backseat of Mom’s Ford Mustang. (It used to drive Dad CRAZY!) My favorites were Michael Jackson, Madonna, Culture Club and the Stray Cats. Eventually, I fell in love with soundtracks. I can probably still sing every song off of the Footloose, Dirty Dancing and Top Gun Soundtracks. They were ‘totally awesome!’

Early 90’s – High School had me listening to all kinds of music. I loved it all. Especially if it had a good beat and I could ‘get my dance on’. ‘Wild Thang’ by Tone Loc had me dancing and singing things that would make my Mom blush. I was ‘Down With O.P.P’ although it took me a few years to figure out what they were singing about. The Beastie Boys, The Smiths, Depeche Mode, Violent Femmes, Bon Jovi, R.E.M. U2, Sinead O’Connor, C & C Music Factory, Boys II Men, Dr. Dre, Soul Assylum, TLC, Coolio, LL Cool J. . .I could go on and on. . .I loved all sorts of music.

1996 – My Wedding Song. ‘I Do It For You’ by Bryan Adams. . .and also ‘I Can’t Help Falling In Love’ performed by UB40 (I can still picture Brett and I dancing underneath all of the white twinkle lights at our wedding reception)

Late 90’s – I listened to STAR 98.7 FM and KROQ 106.7 FM. . .and loved all of the stuff I heard. Family became more important than having to be ‘in the know’ when it came to music. I honestly may have heard more of the ‘Barney and Friends’ theme song, than anything else.

2000 – The one memory that stands out, is fun! At midnight there were a ton of people out on the front lawn singing ‘1999’ by Prince. We rang in the New Year singing, dancing, and watching Disneyland’s fireworks show. . .that was a great night.

2003 – When I think about 2003, all that comes to mind is Mom’s passing. Music wise. . .all I hear is ‘Amazing Grace’ being played on the bagpipes.

2005 – On August 13th of this year, my son Chase died. I can totally hear the song ‘Godspeed’ (aka Sweet Dreams) by the Dixie Chicks playing at his services with the slideshow going on. That song. . .I tell you. . .felt/feels like it was written for us. I listened to it again today. . .and had a good cry. The lyrics are just ‘so right’ for everything that was going on in my life then.

2006 – ‘Landslide’ performed by the Dixie Chicks really strung a cord with me. I knew the Fleetwood Mac version growing up. . .and now. . .updated and really listening to the lyrics, it really hits home.

2009 – I got my first iPod. I started to load all kinds of music. . from the past. . and present. I have everything under the sun on it. . . You’d probably laugh at the wide range of artists. Sometimes I’m in the mood for Bon Jovi, Taylor Swift, Nickleback, & Daughtry. Other times (like when I’m scrapping) I like to listen to Pink, T.I., Flo Rida. . .anything that gets my blood moving and makes me wanna dance! : ) If I need a happy, but mushy song that reminds me both of happy times and the one’s I’ve lost. . .one song fits the bill and puts me at peace. . . ‘Over the Rainbow’ performed by Israel Kamakawiwo’ole.


Recipe:
(All products are from the Studio Calico January Kit)
CS - Bazzill
DP - Studio Calico & Basic Grey
Letter Stickers - October Afternoon
Die Cut Stickers - Studio Calico
Scallop Ribbon - Studio Calico
Twine - Papertrey Ink

This may be the only LO I have without a photo on it.?.?   I kind of like it.  I read Ali Edwards blog, and she is super big on getting the story out, and capturing moments.  I kinda feel like I did it in this LO.   : )

Until next time! : )

love, lisa

4 comments:

Stephanie Feltus said...

Your layout is AMAZING! Great journaling!

Unknown said...

I really like the story you told through this layout!!! Wonderful job!!! The details are fabulous!

Melissa said...

Lisa.. you know what? YOU are pretty special too!!! You sweetheart you. ;) LOVE your take on the challenge! Have to say, Donna rocked it coming up with this challenge prompt. It's been a fave of mine too.

janis said...

hi lisa!!! thanks for the sweet words!!! and your layout is super awesome!!! i had a hard time picking up just one and you had a lot!!!!!! love it!!!